Monday, August 8, 2011

August 8, 2011 Monday



Tribute to Novato Pete

On July 12th, Novato Pete left us. His death shocked all of us. One of regulars, one of the tribe, one who loved the waves, was gone. As a tribute to our companion and friend, below are references to Pete from the Lorenzo's Surf Journal. Thanks to Russ the stand-up guy for the above photo of Pete at the Patch.

January 7, 2011 Monday
I saw Jeff from Mill Valley connect on a fast four-foot curl at Robinson’s Reef. That looked inviting. I met Creighton toweling off as I walked back to my car. He had a great session at the Groin, lots of fast curls. I passed Doug as he poured warm water, which he had brought from home, over his head. He too reported that the Groin was great. After suiting up and walking to the beach, I met Novato Pete who had a good session at the Patch. I chatted with Russ who had a good standup board session at the Patch. Mary walked up and stated that the waves were good everywhere and that I couldn’t go wrong no matter where I went.

February 11, 2011 Friday
Judging from the cars Mary, Novato Pete and stand-up regulars Frank and Russ must be in the water… I walked down to the Patch to take some pictures. Mary and Pete were sitting inside. Rocks were beginning to peek above the water. With the tide going out, soon all the rocks would be exposed. The waves looked small and weak, but Mary caught three nice inside curls in the ten minutes that I was standing there…Just my luck, while suiting up the wind picked up and all my friends came in. I passed Randy on my way to the Patch. On my way out Mary and Pete caught waves and paddled in.

February 23, 2011 Wednesday
“It must be flat for all of you to be standing around,” I greeted Jacek the tattoo artist, Jeff from Mill Valley, Novato Pete and Mary.

“There’s not much there,” said Pete. “Maybe when the tide turns.” David with wetsuit on and board in hand walked by and announced he was going for it. Pete and Jacek went to check out the waves and Jeff and Mary continued practicing strumming techniques on their ukuleles.

“Well are you going to do it?” I asked Jacek and Pete when they returned. “There are a couple of waves out there. I’m going,” Pete said. Jacek decided to pass… The waves were tiny and with all of us bunched together at the only peak, we constituted a crowd. There was David, Jeff, Mary, Novato Pete and stand-up guys Frank and Russ.

Pete got the best ride this morning. He was at the apex of the Channel peak when a good set wave came through. He stroked into it, angled left, locked the rail under the lip of the curl, crouched down in the middle of the board and cruised a long ways before the wave finally closed out on the inside in front of the Groin wall. A few moments later while paddling out, I saw Pete do it again on his next wave. Pete was riding his brand new Johnny Rice longboard. He showed it off to us back at the cars. It was beautiful: 9’ 4” in length, three stingers, one single large fin, wide in the nose and 3 1/8 inches thick. Pete’s previous board was 8’ 6” and now on this longer paddling machine he was catching everything he tried for. Pete loved it.

March 14, 2011 Monday
Six surfers were out at the Patch including Bolinas regulars Marty, Novato Pete, Hans and standup guys Frank and Russ. The Patch was smaller than the Channel, mellow and low keyed…I paddled out to join Marty and Pete…Pete moved around from peak to peak with some success but ended up with Marty and I at the outside rock…Pete, Marty and I had this peak ourselves. For an hour we shared the waves and hooted each time one of us dropped down a well-formed peak. I felt great being out in the water again, connecting with a couple of waves and conversing with my friends. It was just another beautiful morning in Marin.

May 18, 2011 Wednesday
The south swell had arrived; well-formed three-foot waves were peeling at a peak between the Channel and the Groin. Jacek, David who rides the Becker board and Novato Pete were out there… I paddled out to the line-up and saw some nice looking peaks coming through…In the short time I was out there, the others connected on some good waves…Next time I was paddling back out to the line-up, I saw Pete drop down the face of a four-foot wall with his back to the wave, crouched down on one knee on the back half of the board, holding the outside rail, screaming along just ahead of a fast breaking left curl.

August 8, 2011 Monday
That image of him streaking down the line was forever implanted in my mind. That is how I remember him.

Rest in peace Novato Pete.

No comments: