Saturday, March 3, 2012

March 2, 2012 Friday - Part 2


After Session Conversations -

"Doug, I was up your way last week," I commented as he walking up the ramp from his session.

"Fort Bragg?" Doug grew up in Fort Bragg and now lives in Santa Rosa after teaching economics in the local high school for thirty years, and has since retired and now does carpentry work and surfs.

"No, Point Arena. I didn't surf there, but my wife and I stayed in a bed and breakfast within walking distance of the fishing pier."

"Was it breaking?"

"Yes and it was huge and rough. Ten shortboarders were on it."

"You know there's another break about three miles south called Mote Creek that breaks like here. There's only parking for about five cars, but it's protected and breaks over a reef. That's where we used to go."

I found Mote Creek listed in my 1973 copy of the classic and first surf guidebook Surfing California by Bank Wright. Check this out -

Mote Creek - A seldom surfed peak break a few miles south of Point Arena. Shifting peaks off a small reef 1/8 mile below the creek. Takes any swell, 2 - 8 feet. Medium tide. Land is private, but owner doesn't mind visitors. Watch for creek marker along Hwy. Pg 29.



"Loren, I had to tell you that Green-Africa refers to two people."

Mary had just finished her session, was still in her wetsuit with water dripping off of it. "A guy named Green and one named Africa. This is according to Dexter who has lived here most of his life."

Mary was responding to my January 4th entry that I had posted yesterday. Green-Africa is a peak just north of the Patch reef. I had mentioned in the posting that I didn't know why the peak was named Green-Africa. Apparently years ago two guys surfed there a lot and claimed it as their spot, and the locals have always associated this peak with Messrs. Green and Africa.



"Nick, how did you do this crab season?" I ran into Nick, the former owner of the 2-Mile Surf Shop and now Bolinas fisherman, as I was about to leave for the day.

"Great! The quantity was spectacular and the price was good, so I made money."

"So what is next?" I was thinking the crabbing was over even though the season officially ends in June.

"Oh, we're still going for crab. We go out once a week and take in five hundred pounds of crab. We brought in over 2500 pounds for the month of March. It's great. I work one day a week and pay my bills." He smiled and continued on his way to town.

No comments: