Wednesday, August 6, 2014

August 6, 2014 Wednesday

Bolinas
Patch
10:30 am to 11:45 am
2' to 3', occasional 4'
High dropping tide
No wind to slight onshore breeze
Air temp: 65 degrees
Water temp: 62 degrees
Overcast early to patchy sun
Fun session

Happy birthday to Jack the Dave Sweet team rider (age 70) and Russ the stand-up guy (age 68). Again the Bolinas Surf clan gathered to celebrate our brethren.

Check out the attendees in the photo above (from left to right): Larry (Russ' brother), DB the Safeway checker, Ann from Bolinas (Jack's friend), Jack, Russ, Susan without her sunglasses, Mary, Frank the stand-up guy, Don from Bolinas (Ann's husband), and Steve the Bolinas local.

Again congrats and thanks to Susan for putting on a superb spread: home made chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles, a big plate of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, one gallon of Starbucks dark roast coffee and a quart of orange juice. Jack's wife provided a tray of sliced fruits – strawberries, cherries, cantaloupe and watermelon.

Again we scheduled the gathering at 9 am – that time period between the dawn patrollers and us of the gentlemen's hours. But today I was the only one on gentlemen's hours. Everyone else was in the water early and came in for our celebration.

"Susan, the cake is great. Is it Betty Crocker?"

"Betty Crocker?!" she responded with some force. "No way. I made that from scratch." Later on Susan explained that she had Googled "the world's best chocolate cake recipe," and up popped the one she used, a dark chocolate cake.

Again, everyone ate well, had a good time and agreed that we should do this more often.

The surf at the Patch was good and conditions were ideal – consistent 2 to 4-foot right peeling lines, no wind to light onshore breeze, smooth surface to slightly textured and only a few people out. Stormsurf.com explained that two storms (a hurricane and a tropical gale) south of Mexico had turned northwest towards Hawaii and were sending two pulses of south swell our way. The first arrived this morning, would peak tomorrow and fade over the weekend. The second would show up early next week. We were looking at a consistent string of 2 to 4-foot lines hitting the Patch for the next seven days. Today's prediction was 2-foot south swell at 15 seconds. Mary, Jack and Larry were on them this morning before our celebration. I watched Mary connect on one at the furthest peak and continuously stayed locked in the curl all the way to the shore. Jack did the same on his last ride. He loved the inside rights. He was on them for three hours yesterday and for three hours this morning.  

"Loren, my board will be shaped today," Jack greeted me as he exited the water.

"You're getting a new board?"

"Yes. John told me he would shape it today?"

"John?"

"John Moore," he responded. John is Mystic Surfboards and the former owner of the 2-Mile Surf Shop. "It will be a Patch board. One especially made for the Patch: 9' 6" in length, 3.25 inches thick, 23 inches wide, 19 inches in the nose and a 7 inch square tail. I need something that will get me into the waves early."

"Thus one with little rocker, a paddling machine?"

"Yes, and you should get a new board also." Jack had finished his painting job in Bolinas, had been paid and was treating himself to a new board. It should be ready by the end of August and he promised to let me try it out.

I had a ball out there today. I brought my bigger board, the 9' 4" Becker, which is longer, wider and lighter than my Haut. I immediately felt the difference in paddling speed and caught a ton of waves in the 90 minutes. Earlier I saw the surf campers heading our way. "Oh no! I just got out here," I said to myself. Fortunately the instructor took them to the north side of the reef – where the little kids had a great time. Steve from Encinitas, another surfer and I were the only ones on the inside right peeling peak for over an hour. We shared wave after wave.

When I left at noon it was sunny and warm. I had that surfing glow from vigorous exercise and the prospects for the next few days looked good. I bought Kate some flowers at the Farm Stand and listened to classic surf music from my iPod as I took in the sweeping view of the Pacific Ocean at the top of the Panoramic Highway. It was a great day.

Click on the link below to view this morning's photos.

No comments: