Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 18, 2008 Tuesday


Albee’s Alley

On Sunday March 16 sports columnist Dave Albee of the Marin Independent Journal issued a writing challenge to the readers of his Albee’s Alley column. Albee was going on vacation and solicited help from “pinch hitters” to submit 250 words opinion or commentary for his column for the week of March 24 – 31. “Be creative, be controversial and be completely serious or funny.” 

Here’s an opportunity for a novice writer like myself to get something published. But what should I contribute? Kate suggested I submit one of my Surf Journal entries. I reviewed a few of them, but they were too long and too narrow. After much thought I hit upon the idea of Marin’s Other Athletes, the dedicated surfers who organize their lives around surf conditions, in other words my surf buddies. The interest of the story is the people who surf multiple times a week. 

Below is the piece that I submitted. My first draft had 578 words. In my second draft I cut it to 401 words. Kate edited it down to 360 words and in my final draft I cut it to 350 words. Albee’s limit is 250, but I was hoping the IJ staff would accept a few extra words. My piece describes ten dedicated surfers including Marty and Mary who are pictured above. 

******************************************************************

Marin’s Other Athletes 

Blessed with tremendous beauty for hiking, running and biking, Marin also possesses great surf locations Rodeo Beach, Stinson Beach and Bolinas that provide exceptional waves for beginners and experts alike. 

On any weekday, year-round a dedicated core of surfers challenges the weather and freezing water to glide down the watery peaks of Marin’s beaches. These are not “Weekend Warriors” but those who schedule their week around weather and swell conditions reported by numerous websites devoted to surf conditions. These surfers don’t fit the image of the “hey dude” flakes; they are: 

A mother and artist whose children are grown with the youngest at Stanford. 

A Petaluma fireman who volunteered to fight the wild fires in San Diego for nine days this past summer. 

A retired biology teacher of 27 years, who at age 69 claims that every day spent surfing adds one day to his life. 

A retired systems analyst who in a year of constant surfing lost 30 pounds and dropped 15 points off his blood pressure. 

A retired Petaluma High economics teacher and part time carpenter who states that in twenty years of surfing he has never encountered an angry person in the water. 

A poet and English professor who recently read his works at the famed St Marks Poetry Project in New York and faithfully enters the water every day for inspiration. 

A psychotherapist who reserves Wednesday mornings for surfing and who agrees that surfing is the best “therapy” in the world. 

The owner of a Laundromat in Fairfax who rides a boogie board because shrapnel in his hip from Viet Nam prevents him from doing stand up surfing. 

The owner of a paper recycling business in Oakland who after setting the morning tasks for his crew manages a couple of hours surfing. 

Proprietors of the local surf shops, 2-Mile in Bolinas, Livewater in Stinson and Proof Lab in Tam Junction, take in a few waves before opening their shops for the day. 

These athletes know and appreciate the precious environmental gifts of beaches, waves and spectacular scenery that exist here in Marin.  

**************************************************** 

Two days later I received an email from Dave Albee stating great idea but its too long. He would have to cut it in half but would give me first shot. The next morning I cut out four of the ten descriptions, which reduced it to 244 words, and sent it back. On Saturday March 29th the IJ printed my article. Boy did this make my day and has made me a hero with my surf buddies at Bolinas.