Thursday, August 2, 2012

August 2, 2012


Torrance Beach
North end
8:30 am to 10:00 am
2’ to 3’, occasional 4’
Mid upcoming tide
No wind
Overcast
Fun session

“Loren, Mike is in Huntington Beach at the US Open,” Bill yelled to me from the balcony of his apartment as I was changing out of my wetsuit across the street. Bill is one of the Riviera Wave Riders I met in the water this morning. Mike is Kahuna Mike, jefe and force behind the group – a group like us in Bolinas, a close knit group of older surfers who take care of each other, share the waves and maintain decent respect in the water.

Yesterday when Kate and I drove up the coast from San Clemente to Hollywood Riviera, which is a section of Redondo Beach, we became stuck in a horrible traffic mess in Huntington Beach. It was the OP US Open Surfing Contest at the Huntington Beach Pier. We inched along in bumper-to-bumper traffic for thirty minutes to go two blocks in the center of town. This was a special event and of course us old folks knew nothing about it. Crowds of young people roamed in all directions, helicopters roared overhead, a blimp floated over the pier and huge grand stands lined the beach on the south side of the pier. Little did I know that Kahuna Mike was somewhere in that mass of humanity. I imagined he was still stuck there.

I was looking forward to connecting with Mike and all his Wave Rider buddies this morning. In March 2009, I had to spent two weeks helping my mother who lived in Palos Verdes. During that time, I got in several surf sessions at Torrance Beach. My first morning there, Kahuna Mike paddled over, introduced himself, welcomed me to Torrance Beach and preceded to introduce me to several others in the water, explaining they were the Riviera Wave Riders. The group took me in, shared the waves and hooted whenever anyone, including me, connected on a good wave. Since then I have been on their email list and have occasionally corresponded with Mike. Thus I was really looking forward to reconnecting with him. But it didn’t happen.

Out in the water I asked Bill if he was one of the Wave Riders. He said yes and introduced himself. He thought Mike would be out at his usual time of 9 am. I managed to share several waves with Bill and his friends. Like all Wave Riders they were welcoming and cordial, thus we all had fun sessions. The waves were small, nothing special to write about, the surface was glassy, and the sky overcast. The set waves offered some good short curl rides.

While showering after my session I ran into Veet, a Wave Rider and an old acquaintance of mine from my grammar school days. For years his family owned the local grocery store that Veet and his sister took over several years ago. They were a big help to my mother delivering groceries to her house. He mentioned that he was now retired, surfing every day and loving it. They had considered going upscale with the store, but the thought of the financial risk and long hours at age 63 got the better of them. They sold the store to a local chain and now are kicking back.

Yesterday at San Onofre I went out without a wetsuit and had a great time. Today I didn’t even think about, of course I went out in just my trunks and a rash guard. At first I felt fine, but after an hour I began to get cold and at the 90 minute mark I was freezing, to the point of having chills, so much for trying to be a kid again. From now on I’m going for comfort.

I was disappointed that I missed Kahuna Mike, but I encourage you to check out their website (link below) and if you are ever surfing at Torrance Beach connect with them. Check out their Aloha spirit (taken from their website) –

We meet by chance in the water where we surf in front of the ramp at Torrance Beach. Nine in the morning seems to be when most of us appear. We body surf, boogie board, knee board, stand-up surf, stand-up paddle or just plain paddle when the waves are flat. We are old and young and in-between; we love the water, we love nature and we are grateful for everyday we get to ride the waves. Getting to share it with friends makes it extra special.

There is no official membership, no dues, no meetings and no rules. We respect the beach, we respect the ocean and we respect each other. We surf with a spirit of aloha; we encourage, help and watch-out for each other. We hoot for anyone who catches a great ride and we come to the aid of anyone who needs assistance.

With all that goes on in the world, the surf line we share is a sacred place where life's issues are left on shore and we are one "ocean family" bound by our common love of the sea.

'Come ride with us...


No comments: