Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012 Wednesday - Part 1


Bolinas
Groin
9:15 am to 10:45 am
Consistent 2' to 3', sets to 4'
Low tide (2.1 ft at 10:00 am)
No wind to slight onshore breeze
Sunny and warm - start of a heat wave
Good session

 Today was my first day back in the water at Bolinas after my two-week trip down south. I surfed five times - C Street in Ventura, twice at San Onofre and twice at Torrance Beach. All were good sessions, but the swells were small and I was snaked on two days due to high winds. Monday, Kate and I made the beautiful drive from Morro Bay up Highway 1 to Mill Valley, and due to strong NW winds we viewed white caps for the whole two hundred mile journey.

But this morning as soon as I saw the nice clean lines of left peeling waves at the Groin I knew I was in for a good session. Data from the Internet gave the possibility of some waves - 2.5 to 3 ft south swell at 17 seconds, NW wind at 10 knots, warm weather and water temperature at 55 degrees. Six surfers were at the Groin and I knew five of them - Jacek the tattoo artist, Marty, Hank, Professor Steve and David who rides the Becker board. The Patch looked ok and Mary and Walt on his stand-up were out there. But the fast peeling lefts were my choice. That's Hank on the inside wave and Jacek on the outside one in the above photo.

While paddling out I saw Jacek on a good one. He was riding his 9' 6" classic, glassed in single fin Murphy (a San Diego shaper) longboard. He easily stroked into a glassy four foot wall, cut left, crouched down, grabbed the outside rail and hung on through the first section. He cruised under the white water and back into the swell, climbed high in the curl, stepped to the nose and calmly stood there as he hummed down a long continuously peeling left curl. On he went until the wave finally closed out near shore. That's how it's done, I thought to myself.

The sets were infrequent and we all sat there patiently waiting for the waves. I was anxious to catch one and thus went for the first bump in the water that I saw. On my first two waves, the curls peeled a little too fast and closed out in front of me. On my third wave, I connected. A set came in and the others went for the first two, leaving me in position for the third wave. I paddled towards the peak, glided into the wave, jumped up and cut left as the curl was standing up. I stayed high in the wave, stepped to the middle of the board, crouched down and shot through the first section. The wave paused for an instant and then jumped up again. I leaned into the curl, climbed to the top of the wave, stepped closer to the nose, locked the rail under the lip and hung there on the side of the wave shooting through a paper thin curl. I could feel my skeg lifting out of the water as the curl collapsed in front of me. What a great ride.

All of us were amazed at how ideal conditions were - warm, sunny, plate glass smooth and crystal clear water. The waves were clean ground swells that would start breaking in front of the Groin pole and peel continuously down the line. We were sitting twenty yards to the north and would watch them breaking towards us before turning to paddle for them. By being to the north, we could connect with the inside shore break curls. I watched David get one long ride after another from this position.

What a beautiful morning and what a good session. It felt great to be back at my home break. 

No comments: