Friday, September 19, 2008

September 19, 2008 Friday


Bolinas

Channel and Groin

9:00 am to 10:30 am

3' to 4'

Low upcoming tide

Onshore breeze - south wind

Sunny with hazy skies

So - So session



“Regrets. Don’t have any regrets,” Barry advised me while we were toweling off after our morning’s session.

Expectations were high but the surf was disappointing. The south swell was still running however a stiff south breeze put an ugly chop on the water. Barry had pulled up next to me while I was suiting up. We entered the water together and headed out to the furthest peak at the Channel. We caught a few crumbly, slow walls. As the tide came up we drifted towards the peak of the Groin. After an hour, only this peak was breaking and the waves had improved. The deeper water caused the small wind swells to pile up to form solid waves. With luck we could travel a long ways before they would close out. For the last half hour, Barry and I scored a few decent, fast waves.

Between sets Barry asked, “So what are you doing this afternoon?” He knew that I’m retired.

“I’m going to a memorial service for an older friend who recently passed away,” I replied. “I’m hesitating about whether to say a few words at the service or not.” Barry is a motivational counselor who gives training sessions to corporation staffs on teamwork and working together. His program involves considerable outdoor activity working in teams. He contracts with a local company that has perfected this program. His work takes him all over the country giving two to three day training sessions.

Back in the parking lot, Barry paused, looked me in the eye, turned serious and said, “I do a lot of public speaking, and I often stumble and things don’t go smoothly. But I have learned it’s important to always make your point. Regrets. Don’t have any regrets.”

That’s just the little shove I needed to get me over my hesitation. Barry was right; he had a good point. My friend Rocky’s health had been declining for months and I had considerable time to think about my relationship with him. That afternoon at the service, his son asked if anyone would like to say a few words. I jumped up; I was the first person outside the planned service to speak. I fumbled with the microphone, I stumbled, and my sentences were choppy. At first I was disappointed because there were several other points I intended to make. But Rocky’s wife gave me a hug, his son and daughters shook my hand and several of his close friends thanked me for my words. I felt good about doing it. I had no regrets.

Thanks Barry.

No comments: