Thursday, September 2, 2010

September 1, 2010 Wednesday - Part 2



Jim Ellis - artist

Out from Seadrift Jimmy the Stinson Beach artist came knee paddling out. Pete and I were scoring on some good rights on the Seadrift side of the Channel when Jimmy joined us. I had not seen Jimmy for months. He grew up and still lives in Stinson Beach, is my age, a retired carpenter who has taken up wood sculpturing and is an excellent life-long surfer.

“Jimmy, how are you? I haven’t seen you in months. Where have you been? And the rights are real good right here.”

“I’ve been carving wood. But I was here last week.”

It was good to see him. We both scored big last week with the good south swell. Jimmy surfed the rights on the Seadrift side while I went for the lefts at the peak between the Channel and the Groin.

Jimmy just had a showing of his art at the Stinson Beach library and he managed to sell a couple of pieces.

“Any other shows coming up?”

“Yes, an open studio here in Bolinas with two other artists, Steve Lewis an awesome stone carver and Suzie Allen DeBaker an incredible painter.”

“When?”

“The Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving at Steve’s place, 75 Horseshoe Hill Road. I’m carving some small pieces now. Every artist has to have some bread and butter pieces. You know, small things that are affordable.”

“What are you making?”

“Detailed carvings of abalone shells.”

“What kind of wood do you use?”

“Thin grain old growth redwood.”

“You’re talking about ancient redwood, aren’t you? From trees that were over two hundred years old.”

“Yes and it’s very hard to find: old bridge structures, old railroad ties and old pier pilings.”

I mentioned to Jimmy that I was in the Livewater Surf Shop a couple of weeks ago and saw his carving of a great white shark, which hangs on the north wall and his panoramic mural of Stinson Beach that hangs high on the east wall. The above photo is Jimmy’s mural.

“I did that one in 1975. Do you want to hear the story behind that one?”

“Yes.” Jimmy then launched into the story of his thirty five-year old painting. I presented it here in his words from the best that I can remember them.

“Do you remember the Sea Witch CafĂ©? It used to be in that center with the Post Office. Well the owner asked me to paint some local scenery and to include his menu. The only available space was a 20 inches by 16 feet blank wall behind the counter. I started painting the local symbols of Stinson and realized I would never spoil this by painting the menu over it. So I finished it without the menu, just sticking to the scenery and told the owner there was no menu. He exploded. He was pissed. There was no other place to put the menu. He yelled and ranted. I told him to just look at it. I would take it back if he didn’t like it and it would not cost him a thing. Well he looked at it, he loved it, he bought it and put it in that 20 inches by 16 feet space. And it sat there for years until the Sea Witch went out of business.

“He ended up using a small space to the left, about 3’ x 3’ for the menu and the prices. Of course he used another artist to paint that. I felt a little bad about that but reasoned at twenty-five that it was a victory for all art and artists. I sold it to him for $350, which I thought was a lot of money. I got a lot of kudos from the locals and I think their business improved because people would go in for coffee or lunch to sit down and look at the painting. Kirby Ferris, original owner of the Livewater Surf Shop, old time local, friend and excellent surfer, bought it and hung it in the shop. It still hangs there today. Thanks to Kirby the painting remains on public display instead of in someone’s living room. I even like to look at it now and then myself.”

Livewater has changed hands since then and the new owners, Pete and Brenna, have kept Jimmy’s mural hanging in the same space. So the next time you are in Stinson Beach stop by the Livewater Surf Shop, walk in the front door, look up at the back wall to see Jimmy’s mural. Pete and Brenna have two other of Jimmy’s pieces: the carving of the great white shark (on the wall to the left as you walk in) and two natural colored woodcarvings of seal heads (on the wall between the main shop and the upstairs area). You will be impressed; I guarantee it.

As I was walking up the beach after my session I looked back and saw Jimmy connect on a beautiful wave. He turned into a head-high blue-green glassy wall, stood erect mid-board facing the wave with the lip of the wave at eye level, he froze as he sped several yards down the line until the wave exploded over him.

1 comment:

KateM said...

Hey, babe, loved it. K