Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 17, 2012 Tuesday



Bolinas

Channel

8:30 am to 9:30 am

1' to 2', sets to 3'

Mid outgoing tide

No wind

Sunny, wispy high clouds and freezing cold

Didn't bother going out



Check out the above photo closely. Notice the ice covering the car. Dexter the Bolinas local and DB the Safeway checker braved the cold to go out this morning.

"Loren, did you bring your camera?" Dexter greeted me when I arrived at Bolinas. "Get it and take a picture of me in my wetsuit next to the all the ice on my car."

DB came up the ramp after her session. We got her into the picture and chose the above car because it had the most ice on it.

"How was the water this morning?" I expected some explanation about how cold it was.

"It's a hell of a lot warmer than the air," exclaimed Dexter. "What's the water temperature?"

"52 degrees."

"That's a lot higher than 39!"

These two were the only ones to venture out this morning. DB wanted to try out her new fish shortboard; she caught eight waves and had a good time. Dexter was working on getting his arms in shape for his upcoming trip to Baja. When I drove up David who rides the Becker board's truck was parked in its usual spot with his board sticking out the back, and there were no other surf vehicles parked along Brighton Ave. Not a good sign; parking area was empty and David the surf fanatic who surfs in all kinds of conditions wasn't in the water. The NOAA weather radio had issued a Frost Alert for the entire Bay Area. A new front was moving in to break up the high-pressure ridge and was bringing cold air and much needed rain for Thursday and Friday. Today was my last opportunity for some waves for a week. But it was colder in Bolinas than Mill Valley. David checked out the waves, shook his head and headed home. I too kissed it off and went for a long walk around the Duxbury Point instead.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Classic pic..

dex said...

All's I could find in my wetsuit was a ice sickle