Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November 3, 2014 Monday - Part 2


Sunflowers

At first I went to Bolinas and it was virtually flat. When I jumped out of the car I spotted Frank the stand-up guy toweling off after his session. He gave me that "it's flat" hand gesture. He had gone out merely for the exercise. We had a good chat about grandchildren. Two weeks ago my daughter Allison gave birth to our first grandchild, Sebastian. Frank's daughter had just given birth to Frank's second grandchild. Frank and his wife were about to head to Southern California to visit them. He assured me that grandchildren become more fun and interesting as they grow. His older one is now 19 months, runs around the house and is beginning to form complete sentences. My little Sebastian can only eat, sleep and poop. I wished him a good trip and hopped back in the car to check out Stinson.

I stopped at the farm stand at the edge of town. I was thinking of buying some sunflowers for Kate.

"Are the sunflowers fresh?" I asked the guy who was unloading squash in the back of the stand.

"Picked yesterday and some this morning." Thus I met Ryan, one of the one proud founders of Gospel Flat Farms.

He proceeded to teach me what to look for in sunflowers. In the center of the bloom, there's a brown center that looks like a pincushion. This is where the seeds form. The bees pull out the pollen and leave a small "speck" (don't ask what the "specks" consist of) at the base of the stem of the petals near the center. With active bee pollination, these specks form a ring around the center of the flower. Thus the bigger the ring the longer the bloom has been open. Ryan told me to look for flowers with no ring or with just a thin ring. With that advice I picked out the freshest bunch there, as you can see in the photo above.

John, the excellent surfer and owner of the Parkside Cafe in Stinson Beach, arrived with an empty produce box in his hand. He was there to buy vegetables for the restaurant. I introduced him to Ryan and informed Ryan that John bakes the best bread in Marin County. John loaded up his basket and had a good "farmer's" discussion with Ryan about the produce.

I hopped back into the car and headed for Stinson Beach to go surfing for the first time since my ear operation. As usual, it was a great day in Marin. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cameron is practically a diving hull professional, so putting him in charge of the rolex replica sale Deepsea Challenger that took over eight years to develop wasn't that much of a liability. Plus, Cameron almost guarantees that people will pay attention - and who else was going to go down there and appreciate it as much as James? At 24 feet long the rolex replica sale Deepsea Challenger is tiny compared to the famous Trieste vessel that made a similar journey in 1960. The mission 52 years ago spent only 20 minutes on the sea floor, but was able to go down that deep. This time around Cameron replica watches uk not only took footage of what he saw, but collected samples and other replica watches sale data for scientific purposes. The project was a joint effort between a series of sponsors who are eager to help rebound deep sea exploration (because apparently space is on hold). One of them of course is the almighty Rolex replica watches uk (who is no stranger to the deep). Rolex replica uk isn't new to this game.