Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6, 2009 Friday



Bolinas

Groin and Channel

9:00 am to 10:00 am

1' to 2', sets to 3'

High outgoing tide

Stiff onshore wind

Sunny, high clouds and a cold wind

Frustrating session



Strong outgoing current, stiff cold onshore breeze and no waves was the theme today.

When I arrived at Bolinas my friends Marty, Doug, Mary and Jim were out at the Groin. The Patch was flat and the outgoing ebb tide had just begun to knock down the waves at the Channel. I stood on the Groin wall to get some shots of them riding some knee curls. The waves looked like fun. The above photo is Marty in a small curl. There was no wind and the surface was smooth. Knee-high curls, my kind of waves.

By the time I put the camera away and dressed, the wind had changed. A stiff cold onshore breeze greeted me when I entered the water. The nice little waves that I had just photographed had disappeared. I paddled out to the peak just south of the Groin, caught one small well-formed wave, coasted to the bottom and the wave died. That was the story of all of them, no push, no power. Doug and I moved around looking for the right spot and never connected. The out-flowing current knocked down everything inside the Groin wall to the Channel. We drifted north and found nothing. We paddled further north and again nothing. By now the onshore wind had really kicked up, white caps formed on the outside, the peaks disappeared and my hands were getting numb. Time to give it up.

Everyone in the parking lot concurred that I had missed it by one hour. Maybe next time.

2 comments:

Mabel said...

Loren, it's great to see you back "in the blog!" And thanks for postering me once again. I think you have one act play going with the AIG Fantasy. The punch line at the end - fantastic. I can just picture you saying it to Obama and maybe the pres. at VISA, albeit for different reasons. cu in the lineup, Marty

Lorenzo said...

Marty - My two week trip to SoCal and taxes have slowed me down. But more entries are queued up including another photo of you on your birthday. Thanks for the kind wordsl