Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16, 2012 Monday


The Trophy Ceremony


Email from Jack the Dave Sweet Team Rider, Sunday evening July 15 with the results of our heat at the Kahuna Kupuna Surf Contest -


Loren--

Here are the results -- Cochran 1st, Conroy 2nd, Ellis 3rd, Moore 4th. Team Wadman beat Team Cochran! We took 4th.

Surf at Bo seems pretty weak, you may have to buy me breakfast tomorrow.

Let me know when you will be there.

Jack

P.S. The HMB Patch blog is up


Well, there it was in writing, despite feeling good about my performance, I came in fourth out of four, dead last. The last two years I came in third, but this year the competition had changed. The two surfers I placed in front of before had “graduated” to the 70 – 75 age group and the new contestant to our bracket, Eddie Conroy, was a excellent surfer who goes out at Linda Mar two to three times a week.


Monday morning, the Bolinas crew gathered while Jack officially handed me my trophy. The witnesses posed for a ceremonial photo – above from left to right is David who rides the Becker board, Mary, Jack the Dave Sweet team rider, Lorenzo and Hank. Marty was there also – he took the photo.


“Hey Loren, I heard that you are buying breakfast.”


Jack mentioned buying him breakfast, now I’m suppose the buy breakfast for the whole crew. Jack was correct in his note about the surf conditions at Bolinas. They were terrible, not worth going out, thus we jumped to Plan B and caravanned to the Parkside CafĂ© in Stinson Beach for breakfast. After a good meal and great talk, I insisted that everyone see Surfrider’s “Marinade,” a surfing photo exhibition in the library. The camaraderie was high, making it another beautiful morning in Marin.


There were two other items in Jack’s email worth mentioning here. Jack had been recruited to join one of the intergeneration teams (six surfers with an age range of thirty or more years) and his team came in fourth, ahead of Greg Cochran’s team. So Jack received two trophies, one for placing third in our heat and one coming in fourth in the team event.


Jack’s note also references “HMB Patch blog is up” meaning – the local online news blog, The Half Moon Bay Patch, had a brief article on the contest and our heat in particular by Beatrice Karnes that included photos and comments from Greg, Jack and I.


No comments: