Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 29, 2012 Sunday



VG Donut & Bakery

Today Kate and I returned to the World’s Best Bakery – VG Donut & Bakery in Cardiff by the Sea. For years I have been telling everyone I know that VGs is the Best Bakery in the World and today I reconfirmed that assertion. Last night I joined Kate at the Romance Writers of America awards ceremony in Anaheim (Kate was nominated for an award, but didn’t win it) and today we were driving to San Diego to visit my mother and brother. Of course I was driving down the old Pacific Coast Highway through all of the beach towns and had to make a stop at VGs. It’s located across from the entrance to the San Elijo State Park and across the railroad tracks in a small non-descript script mall. But believe me all the locals know VGs and can direct you to it. I bought two buttermilk bars (my favorite) and a coffee, Kate had a cake donut and we purchased a dozen cookies for my mother.

We first came here in the summer of 1970, before we were married, during a surf trip to Ensenada. I had to stop to show Kate the break at Cardiff by the Sea, a favorite spot during my high school days. It was still morning, I pulled into a Flying A gas station (remember them?) to fill up and asked the gas attendant (yes that was in the days when an attendant pumped the gas) –

“Where do you buy donuts around here?”

“Right over there,” he said without hesitation and pointed to VGs. “Best donuts in the world, bar none.”

Well we purchase several glazed donuts, freshly made that morning, and he was right. They were the best donuts we have ever had. So from that point on (over 42 years) every time I’m in San Diego County, I go out of my way to get to VGs.

In 1968 Jim and Betty Mettee bought the shop, named it “VG” for Very Good, and the whole family then learned to how to make donuts. Joe Mettee, their son, now owns the shop and his children are bakers, thus VGs is a third generation family business. In 1970 the shop occupied one small retail location; now it has expanded to two. When you walk in, the sweet aroma of freshly baked donuts, cakes, and breads knock you over. The place is jammed with ovens, fryers, and baking equipment. In front of that stands a store length case filled with fresh goodies. There is barely any room to customers to stand and only two small tables inside to sit at. But, they have tables outside for customers to relax and enjoy their purchases.

VGs is now a full service bakery specializing in the old fashion style of baking and is an institution for locals seeking a morning coffee and bakery goody. Donuts are baked twice a day starting at 4:00 am and 4:00 pm. They also specialize in wedding cakes and catering to local business events.

Next time you are in San Diego County – at choice surf spots like Cardiff, Swami’s or Encinitas Beach – I insist, you have to go to VGs. Check out this great video of VGs on YouTube.


106 Aberdeen Drive 
Cardiff, CA 92007
Phone: 760-753-2400. 
Email: info@vgbakery.com
(No Orders Please).


4 comments:

el space vato said...

Loren, you're killing me! I remember VG's as my uncle would bring home donuts from there on Saturday mornings after he went to the flea market (which I think was at the Del Mar fairgrounds...).
Also, when you stopped there with Kate in 1970 I was living there then on Mozart Avenue! Man, small world, amigo.

Lorenzo said...

el space vato, would you not agree with me that VGs donuts are the best in the world?

el space vato said...

Yes, I absolutely agree that VG's doughnuts are the absolute best... though I have heard of a mythical sounding doughnut place up in Portland, OR. We'll have to research further.
Until then, VG's rules!

2 Mile Surf Shop said...

Loren -

Best donuts bar none and always worth stopping at after surfing Cardiff.