Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 2012 Wednesday - Part 2



Leo Carrillo State Park
“Secos” – the Big Rock
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
Consistent 3’ to 4’, sets head-high plus
Mid upcoming tide
No wind
Sunny and warm
Spectacular surf



I wrote this at Leo Carrillo State Park, a few miles north of Malibu. In the old days, before the state park, this was known as Secos (as in Arroyo Seco, Spanish for dry creek) – the primo surf spot where they filmed the 1959 classic surf movie, Gidget, the movie that started the whole surf craze in the early 60’s. The morning overcast had burned off, the bright sun was out, the wind had died, the water had turned a deep blue color and the waves were ideal – consistent 3 to 4 feet with occasional head-high plus perfectly peeling fast right curls.

Why am I not out there? I had already spent all my energy this morning at Surfers Point in Ventura, and I’m on schedule to connect with my good friend Jay in Manhattan Beach in two hours. Boy, was I tempted. Visions of my younger days flashed through my mind – days when going out twice in one day was the norm. I decided not to push my luck. Besides this was my opportunity to write-up this morning’s session.

For a half hour I took photos of some specular rides. From a photographers point of view conditions were ideal, perfect lighting – bright sunny day, blue skies and deep blue water. The waves formed next to a large outcropping of rocks, they jumped up broke and then peeled right along the contour of the beach, forming beautiful long lines within a few feet of the shore. I stood at the water’s edge and clicked away as surfers cruised down the curls within ten to twenty feet from me.  

Click on the link below to view my photos of these beautiful waves -

No comments: